It’s been nearly two weeks since the BlogHer Food Bloggers Conference hit Miami and I’m still processing it all. If you don’t know about BlogHer (I didn’t until recently), it’s a media company comprised of a network of some 5,700+ bloggers and social media influencers. BlogHer has a huge blog conference every year for all types of bloggers—this year in Silicon Valley on July 23-24th. They also have BlogHer Food, just for food bloggers like me! This year BlogHer Food was held a short 10 minute drive from my home in Downtown Miami. How could I possibly miss it?
I’ve been to my share of conventions, but BlogHer Food was an entirely new experience. There were keynote speakers, business-building strategies, discussion panels, cooking demonstrations, and food was everywhere. It was two long days of blogging boot camp with a side of food tasting and endless business card exchanging.
The BlogHer conference was a big deal to me in more ways than one. It was also the longest amount of time I had ever been away from my son (at 17 months). For two days, I was at the conference. I spent nights happily packing my car up with bloggers to play tour guide.
I made sure to stop home a few times for a quick change of clothes and a few cuddles.
Lunch sponsored by McCormick spices with a delicious spice-guided menu. Followed by keynote discussion: What Superfoods Are, and How They’re Going to Change the Health Destiny of America.
I attended an enlightening panel discussion, Turning Online into a Product Line with Laura-Jane Koers (The Rawtarian) and Jadah Sellner (Simple Green Smoothies). Later that day, chef, author and blogger, David Lebovitz took the stage for an interview.
The second day, I enjoyed a kitchen demo, The Flavors of Miami. I thought I knew all about cooking Miami-style, but it turned out I learned a few things about Puerto Rican and Cuban cooking from instructors, Carla Cancio-Bello (Cuban Cuisine UK) and Meseidy Rivera (The Noshery). Thanks Ladies!
A few of my fellow bloggers and I escaped for a lunch break to Juvia on Miami Beach for a bite. Its a restaurant perched on top of the coolest parking lot I’ve ever seen. and I’ve always wanted to visit. We took a stroll on Lincoln Road and headed back to the conference for more. Here I am enjoying the view with Lina of Skandalous Cakes and Crystal from Sweet Sassy Palette.
The closing party was held Saturday night at Cafeina Wynwood Lounge with hostesses Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman), Jaden Hair (Steamy Kitchen) and Elise Bauer (Simply Recipes). Flamenco dancers performed and everyone got down on the dance floor.
So what did I learn at BlogHer Food?
- I learned that there are lots and lots of bloggers out there just like me. They are friendly and sometimes a little shy
- Bloggers are deeply passionate about what they do
- Blogging for a living is possible, but also hard
- Stay focused. Identify what you and your blog are all about
- I learned that I’m doing pretty damn well with Love and Duck Fat so far
- Mostly, I was inspired. I learned that I was part of a thriving community that is becoming more important every day. Bloggers don’t often meet each other in person, but we are closer than we may think.
Win a big bag of swag!
The sponsores at BlogHer Food were insanely generous. My arms were loaded down several times during the conference and I ended up winning a KitchenAid stand mixer! It was like Christmas. To share the love, I’m giving away a big bag of swag from BlogHer Food.
Because you visit Love and Duck Fat, I’m encouraged each and every day to put in the time it takes to keep it going. Even if you never drop me an email or leave a comment, I see those little blips on my Google Analytics and know you are there (sometimes I even wave hello).
So what’s inside the big bag of swag? Here’s the rundown:
- Gold Emblem Abound (new from CVS) Heavenly Light Popcorn – full size bag
- Gold Emblem Abound (new from CVS) Oat Bran Cookies – full size box
- Gold Emblem Abound (new from CVS) Lime & Pepper Baked Rice Thins – full size
- Sheila G’s Brownie Brittle Chocolate Chip – full size bag
- KitchenAid Ice Cream Scoop
- 1 Madagascar Vanilla Bean from KitchenAid
- Analon Beech Wooden Spoon
- Colgate Total Mouth Wash – sample size + $2.00 coupon
- Gourmet Sea Salt from South Walton, Fl
- McCormick Chipotle Chili Pepper (.9 oz bottle)
- Baileys Coffee Creamer USB (memory stick)
- Vintage Italia Pasta Chips – Mediterranean Sea Salt –full size + $2.00 in coupons
- even more stuff (I like surprises, don’t you?)!
Stay tuned for more recipes coming your way from Love and Duck Fat! Thank you for visiting and be sure to follow my social media pages for more.